Tel: +30-210 325 9000 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Ancient Agora Athens
The site that would later be called the Agora had been inhabited since the late Neolithic period (3000 B.C.) and used as a residential area and a burial ground.
In Solon’s time (6th century B.C.) the Agora of Athens (as it was named) became the place where everyone could speak his mind regarding the administering of his city and where all of the Athenians’ daily activities would take place (Agora: from ancient Greek ‘agorevo’ = to speak thoroughly about something)
It was the place where political deliberation would occur and where justice and social affairs as well as religious matters would be attended.
It also served as the centre of the Athenians’ trade dealings.
The Agora has suffered severe damage through the course of it s history and was gradually abandoned.
In 1834, when Athens became the capital of the independent new state of Greece, the Agora was redeveloped as a residential area. After numerous excavations after that time, part of the site has been recovered and is now a historical site.